Wednesday, May 23, 2007

SSH and FTP on Ubuntu

My home pc is finally free from windows. I have formatted my pc for linux, more specifically Ubuntu, from the debian family. Unfortunately, after the installation, I have failed to SSH and FTP to my newly installed machine.

What should I do? After getting suggetion from Steven to install the service because most probably it is not in by default, it works! Thanks sifu~~

There are 2 websites that I refer to, NBLUG and Cyberciti, and thanks to them, I manage to run both services.

To make it simple, to install SSH and FTP, just type "sudo apt-get install ssh" and "sudo apt-get install vsftpd" respectively for each services. To change the setting of SSH, you may go to "/etc/ssh/" directory to find out more. If you are wanting to modify FTP setting, you may want to modify "/etc/vsftpd.conf".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.... My Goodness!

Talking about Matrix Code again...

Beside Matrix Code got any other issue ah?

Steven, Dickson and you like to talk Matrix Code.

steven said...

no wonder Ubuntu distro is only one cd

Gary Chee said...

But poor thing is that I still can't find my Ubuntu host name on my network.

I have either to use the IP, or I have to write down the host name in my hosts file. :(

Still figuring ways how to make it visible.

Anonymous said...

Actually... the Matrix Code can be very sexy geh:)